Saturday, 6 July 2013

Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me {Shatter Me, #1}/ Tahereh Mafi

This book was like the kiddy roller coaster: It went up a little bit, and then went down drastically. And it was done. Just like that.

Juliette lives in an asylum for almost a year until a handsome guy is thrown into her cell. She didn't touch any human being for years because if she touches anyone- she sucks the life out of them. And she couldn't keep her hands to herself.

This review is going to be a major rant with ultra-hulk-size major spoilers with comic-book geek references.

Plot:
There's two parts to this book: one half that is awesome. Second part is a copy-pasta from The Avengers with a lot of make outs and almost a sex scene (or rape).

Mrs. Mafi, what were you thinking while writing the second part of this book? Did you try to mix Hulk with Fifty Shades of Grey? Or The Avengers with a Sophie Kinsella novel?
I found the parts in the asylum, the broken parts of Juliette's mind. But what did I get? A dystopian earth novel with sappy romance and... okay, I will stop saying anything to do with 'super heroes', for now.


Writing:
I don't know why everyone say that the writing is ugly and stupid. Yes, there's moments when she repeats words or phrases. But I think she just tried to bold out Juliette's emotions (by writing an entire copy paste page 'I am not insane.' and dart it all except the last sentence).

But truth is, I liked how she 'deleted' the emotions that the heroine denied. I actually loved the simple description, maybe not a writing that you can see the world with your eyes closed, but good enough to imagine the basics.


Slut of the Week- Juliette:
At first, she was hurt, broken but badass. That was the first part of the book.

But as the book went on and on about her loving Adam, I was just rolling my eyes every-time she somehow mentioned her undying love to him because he has a tattoo. Of a bird. Wow.

Cell Mate- Adam:
I never really had any feeling for this dude. He was so plain and just... he wasn't swoon worthy for me. Actually, I don't even know what he finds in Juliette with their undying love. It's 'Evermore' all over again. Or any YA novel for that matter.

Kidnapper- Warner:
Every time I projected Warner in my mind, I always heard, saw and imagined him like this:
Seriously, he was as possesive, if not more, as the Ice King. Think about it- the Ice King kidnaps princesses to marry them, Warner kidnaps Juliette to be his weapon.

The Ice King gave a promise and crossed his fingers behind his back, Warner did the same.

"Take your time, love." felt like the Ice King was saying it, not a hot blonde guy with blue/green eyes (I never remember the color of guy's eye color all sound the same to me, because it can never be light grey or black with flecks of blue).

And if Warner got blue eyes, he shares them with the Ice King. I can go on and on with the similarities between them and other kidnapers from Nintendo games.

Overall:
I hated how this book turned from a cool asylum dystopian story to Rouge from X-Men meets the Hulk in one body. Bye.

1 STAR

Liked:
-Beginning
-Asylum
-Ruined dystopian world

Disliked:
-Warner
-Adam
-The Slut
-Roamnce
-Geek refrences

This is what happens when you get a recommendation from Lauren Kate ("Fated").

No comments:

Post a Comment